STRIKE: STUDENT'S GREATEST ENEMY


- Comr. Silas C. Okolie
- Otozi Jemima

I never wish to know you
I dislike and despise your existence
You call yourself Strike and yes! you keep striking against my Success
All my plans to graduate in 4yrs is now ruined  by this so called strike
I dislike you; Yes I do!

I did my NDs smoothly then I thought you
have gone for good, little do I know you await me in HND.
Now you are here to stay, from one Academic Strike to another just in a semester
The worst of it all is calling it Indefinite
This shows it won't end in sooner days
Why won't it be definite
My heart's heavy
And nothing more to Envy.

All my effort seems Effortless
Strike is my enemy so don't expect less
Who will deliver me from leaking brain and dashed hopes
All I have learnt I lose and have forgotten
Cos of strike
I wouldn't be angry if you save me from wasting my effort in school
But will be Happy if you crown my Efforts and Rekindle my Zeal for Education.

I don't mind spending time with my parents at  home
But Staying at home because of my Enemy is something I don't like
Am begging and pleading for a call back to studies and a call off of this so called strike
Save me now am crying
and save my Future from dying.

--------------

Sincerely, the cries of the students is enormous. Can you count how many students that lost their ways during strikes? Can you count how many lost their life? 

Following the declaration of indefinite strike by the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic (ASUP) Chapter of Federal Polytechnic, Oko with effect from 2nd August, 2021, there is strong need to re-evaluate some of the the depressing effects strike actions has on the Nigerian students.

Students across various departments in Federal Polytechnic Oko in Nigeria are constantly faced with industrial action, Fact-checking shows that these strike actions are caused by a disagreement between the School Management and the Academic Staff arising from non-implementation or partial implementation of former agreements reached. Further Observation shows that the School Management is owning the Staff of Long term Arrears which is due to be paid.

In most cases, disagreement or lack of understanding between the School Management and the Academic Staff often results in a deadlock that usually disrupts the academic calendar.

Most times we wonder where the interest of the students lies, Why should they always bear the repercussions. As the saying goes, when two elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers it. The grass, in this case, is the students who bear the brunt of the disagreement.

Incessant strikes diminish the academic performance of students. As learning is suspended for a long period, the students reading abilities fall. Even the knowledge acquired during the learning period is even forgotten by some students. This mostly turns some students into certificate seekers than knowledge seekers.

The after-effect is a prolonged school year that exceeds stipulated periods. Most academic activities for the school year are distorted. This is one major cause of producing unqualified graduates who are deficient in their fields of study. In the same vein, students who are supposed to do a four-year course end up spending six years in the school for a simple programme.

Such strike periods also have the tendency of leading undergraduates into some social vices like prostitution, cybercrime, etc. “An idle man,” they say, “is the devil's workshop.”

There is, therefore, the need for a re-evaluation of the education sector. The numerous factors that often lead to strikes in our institutions should be ultimately addressed.

Meanwhile, The Management of Federal Polytechnic, Oko should honour whatever agreement reached with the academic communities. Most protracted strikes can be averted if necessary steps are taken to build a good relationship between both parties.

At the same time, the ASUP should devise other means other than strike to resolve aggrieved issues. Strike action Shouldn't be the last resort. This is because of the negative effect frequent strikes have on students and the entire academic community. Until the cause of all these incessant strikes is arrested, It will continue to be a nightmare to the student!

We call on the Governor of Anambra State, Gov. Willie Obiano, The Minister of Education, and necessary agencies and lovers of education to throw their heavyweight and avert this ongoing industrial action and return students to the classroom.

- Comr. Silas C. Okolie
- Otozi Jemima

Please Don't Refurbish!!!!!!

Add up / Follow me on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/mhizta.silasokolie - (Prince Silas Okolie) for your Updates.

®~ Donnie Saico Media

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post